Tuesday, April 3, 2012

9 of 10 people miss this

I have noticed, with great interest, that people who care deeply about Scripture make the same mistake about Matthew 25, 9 times out of 10. In the description of the Last Judgment, Jesus talks about feeding the hungry and giving drink to the thirsty ... and, and ... what's the third? Almost everyone says: clothe the naked. That's 4th. #3 matters, really matters. The passage is sobering: the Lord says, more or less: "Do these things, meet my Father; don't do these, go to hell." So skipping the itchy one is probably a bad idea. The third: "I was a stranger (alien, migrant, foreigner -- xenos in Greek), and you welcomed me."

4 comments:

  1. I love this, John. Thanks for the reminder.

    My parents were great, great believers in welcoming the stranger and they practiced it to a fault (according to their long-suffering children who thought many of the strangers they brought home were pretty strange).

    But some of us are following in their footsteps now!

    And we are all pretty strange if you get right down to it.

    Much love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In heaven, we are all strangers. I never heard anyone say we would all be pretty strangers, but I guess that could be true too!

      Dorothy Day slept in the bathtub when strangers usurped her bedroom, I believe. Is she your great-godmother, too?

      Delete
  2. A good reminder of how to stay happy in life. Even for those who don't believe in Christianity, happiness doesn't come through wealth or possessions but through relationships with others. Welcoming a new person into your life could change it forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Greeks made Apollo the god in charge of three huge things: justice, truth, and hospitality. Hospitality is a big deal indeed. I agree with you, Mike, that it can change your life.

      Delete