Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Border Baby

BORDER BABY
Gabe, a Border Patrol officer, argues with his superior about a family.

Gabe: Captain, I think you should look at this bunch before we send them away.
Captain: Why?
Gabe: Hard to say. There’s something about them.
Captain: You woke me up for “something about them”? Okay, gimme a run-down.
Gabe: The facts don’t sound too good. I think you should meet them.
Captain: Facts, Gabe! Facts, first and fast.
Gabe: Okay. Young couple with a kid and a donkey. Crossing the border at night. Jose is a handyman. He speaks Hill-billy. He had work at home, but left it because he had a dream. The lady with him is Maria. The kid does not look like Jose, so I asked if it was Jose’s kid. She said no, right off, calm. The kid is young. Maria said his name was “Hey-you.” I ask Jose, “Are you kidding me? Hey-you?” “Hey-Zeus,” he corrects. I made routine inquiries about them, and got a hit right away for Hey-Zeus. He may look young -- he is young -- but he is wanted by the police. Still …
Captain: Gabe! Ignorant peasant day laborer, doesn’t speak the language. Girl has a baby, not his, with a smart-ass name The little bastard's got his own little rap sheet. I do not have to think about this one. Are they offering a bribe?
Gabe: No!
Captain: Services?
Gabe: Captain, it’s not like that! Just meet them!
Captain: This one is real simple, Gabe. Tell Jose to go home. If they try to sneak across the border out in the desert, it’s prison until we get around to deportation -- and extradition for the kid.
Gabe: Boss! I’m telling you, they got a kind of a glow.
Captain: I’m not gonna try to figure this out. Tell them they are not welcome here. They should get lost. I don’t know -- try Egypt, for Chrissake. That’s our law!

No comments:

Post a Comment