Friday, July 6, 2012

Kids get it -- what's our problem?

Bishops from all over Latin America met a few weeks ago, to talk about immigration. They said a lot of powerful things, but one odd remark struck me. They said (again) that throwing immigrants out is wrong in a whole list of ways.  One item on their list was that it damages Americans who lose a chance to be hospitable. Most of what they said was easy to follow, but that one sounded a little strange. Still, I think they are right.

Right now, we are in a recession, or at least we are near one, so Americans are not feeling as optimistic as usual. But still, compared to most of the world throughout all of history, we are fantastically wealthy. We may not always have jelly, but we always have bread. We don’t always like the people under it, but we can always find a roof. In fact, we have cars to complain about, and computers with sticky keys, and pools that need cleaning. We have a lot of stuff, and we have numerous complaints about every single thing we have -- so we have a lotta lotta complaints.

Jesus said that when he shows up at the door (disguised, usually) he comes to set us free. He comes to give us joy. And it’s pretty simple stuff, often. If I have the pool to myself, I see leaves and smell chlorine. But if I let a kid use it, he screams and splashes until I remember what a cool thing this is.

Just to make that clear, I’ll say it again. If I eat a piece of candy, I enjoy it for 30 seconds or so. If I give it to a kid, I enjoy his smile for a long time.

So here we are in this vastly wealthy country, moaning and groaning. And 12 million people show up at the door, saying they want some of what we’ve got. If we share it, we enjoy it. If we throw them out, we probably get to keep the stuff, but we lose the joy that should go with it.

We are moaning and groaning about tough times. 12 million times, Jesus has knocked on our door and offered to show us how to enjoy what we have.

The bishops are right. If we refuse to be hospitable, the guest is hurt, maybe, but the host is in a helluva mess, a World of Hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment